Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye. ~H. Jackson Brown Jr.
February is heart health month! Can you think of anything that you do throughout the day that is good for your heart? There are many things that can be done throughout the day to help have a healthy heart. Each day a person can do one thing to help work towards having a healthy heart.
- When choosing meals call attention to eating vegetables, fruits, and whole grains. It’s important to eat lean protein while limiting high fat and salty foods. Highlighting the importance of portion control and adding a variety of choices.
- Kick the nasty habit of smoking in the butt! Smoking is known to be one of the top controllable risk factors of heart disease.
- Know your blood pressure, cholesterol, triglycerides and blood sugar numbers. Keeping these numbers in check are important for heart health. Ask your primary physician for your target numbers. Don’t skip regular physical exams that are set up with your primary physician.
- Blood pressures can be checked during the Wellness clinic every Thursday at noon in Red Baron room.
- Eating nuts such as almonds, walnuts, pecans, and other tree nuts that help with lowering the risk of heart disease. Nuts help with reducing bad cholesterol (LDL).
- Do you have stress, get overwhelmed or mad? Next time you encounter a situation take time and burn off your negative feelings. It can be done by taking a five minute walk to clear your head.
After reading the list of things to do for a healthy heart, I hope there are a couple of things that you find helpful and that you can do throughout the day.
Keep in mind that there are many opportunities to attend an exercise group at Boulder Estates. These groups are listed on the activities calendar, are free, and everyone is welcome to attend. On Monday & Wednesday at 10:30 we have Fun Fitness with the YMCA in the Quarry Café. On Tuesday (9:30) & Thursday (10:00) we have Flex & Stretch in the Red Baron Room. Or you can always come join the nurses every Friday at 11AM in the first floor activity room for Maintain your Balance.
Happy Heart Health Month!! From Stepping Stone Home Health http://www.cityofloveland.org/index.aspx?page=2119